10/7/19: The Minute Message
Inspire someone. Your goal should be for someone to look at you and say, “ Because of you, I didn’t give up.” ~ Michael Chandler
Many of us are aware of the PBIS pyramid, which is used to help students become successful behaviorally and academically. Did you know that one of the most revered coaches in the history of sports, John Wooden, had a pyramid, too? His was the “Pyramid of Success”* which he used to help his players become successful in life as well as basketball.
Wooden was well known for his short and simple inspirational messages, most of which are just as applicable to students as they were to his players!
Here are just a few of those messages:
• Be a good person at all times. “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
• Be a good student in all subjects, not just basketball.
• Never miss or be late for any class or appointment.
• Never make excuses. “If you’re not making mistakes, then you’re not doing anything.”
• Never lose faith or patience. “Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It’s courage that counts.”
• Never waste time. “Never mistake activity for achievement. If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?”
Thank you for all you do to encourage and inspire the students in your life to never give up. Have a great week!
Sam Moore is the PBIS coach and drug prevention coordinator for Roseburg Public Schools.